Five Experienced Divers Were Reportedly Just Minutes From Reaching The Surface Before A Deadly Maldives Cave Tragedy Unfolded — But The Disturbing New Theories Emerging About Their Final Moments Underwater Are Now Leaving The Diving Community In Shock

The five Italian divers who drowned in the Maldives were not wearing proper scuba equipment for the journey – and were just 15 minutes from the surface when they died.

A diver from Finland participating in a recovery operation for two bodies of Italian scuba divers near Vaavu Atoll.
Rescuer Sami Paakkarinen said the victims lacked crucial cave diving equipment like a reel or guide rope.via REUTERS

“Tragic human error” was a key factor in the May 14 horror, in which the group died 200 feet below the surface, Finnish diver Sami Paakkarinen told the Sun.

Four of the bodies were found together, Paakkarinen added.

Federico Gualtieri, one of five Italian victims of a diving accident in the Maldives.
Muriel Oddenino, 31, was an experienced diver.Muriel Oddenino / Facebook
Federico Gualtieri, one of five Italian victims of a diving accident in the Maldives.
Federico Gualtieri, 31, died in last Thursday’s tragedy.ZUMAPRESS.com

“Unfortunately, in most cave diving accidents, the main cause is always human error,” he said.

The victims did not have proper cave diving equipment, including a diving reel or guide rope, according to the rescuer.

Giorgia Sommacal, one of five Italian nationals who died while scuba diving in the Maldives, poses for a selfie.
Giorgia Sommacal, 20, died in last Thursday’s diving disaster in the Maldives.Giorgia Sommacal / Instagram
Monica Montefalcone on a boat, looking towards rocky formations.
Monica Montefalcone, 51, Giorgia’s mother, also died.Greenpeace via AP

“The equipment we found them with wasn’t optimal, they weren’t using underwater caving gear,” he noted.

In general, for those who visit caves, it’s known that it’s not very wise to do so without a safety line,” Paakarinen said.

The bodies of Monica Montefalcone, 52, a marine biologist from the University of Genoa; her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, 20; researcher Muriel Oddenino, 31; and recent graduate Federico Gualtieri, 31, were found Monday.

The group vanished May 14, during a deep-water dive inside a cave 164 feet underwater in Vaavu Atoll in what officials called the worst diving accident in the island nation’s history.

The body of diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti was found the day of the drowning, and was brought back to Italy Tuesday. The remains of the other victims were repatriated early Saturday.

This is a developing story. Please check back for more updates.

Related Posts

Newly Surfaced Footage Of Kyle Busch At A Public Event Just 48 Hours Before His Death Is Now Going Viral — But Fans Watching The Video Back Believe One Small Moment Looks Completely Different After The Truth About His Final Days Emerged

The NASCAR driver and his son Brexton attended the opening of an indoor go-karting facility in North Carolina on Tuesday, May 19 Kyle Busch.Credit : Michael Bush/Icon Sportswire…

Retired Admiral Robert Harward’s Fox News Appearance Suddenly Triggered A Viral “Mask Theory” Online — But The Strange Split-Second Detail Viewers Kept Replaying During The Broadcast May Have A Much Simpler Explanation Than People Expected

A Fox News guest has sparked a social media frenzy with wild speculation that he went on live TV wearing a prosthetic mask. Retired Navy Vice Adm. Robert…

💔 “‘THEY NEVER RECOVERED AFTER THEIR MOTHER DROWNED.’ — NOW THE AUNT OF THREE SISTERS FOUND DEAD AT BRIGHTON BEACH HAS REVEALED A DETAIL POLICE STILL CAN’T EXPLAIN” The family of sisters Jane, Christina and Rebecca — who were pulled from the sea together near Brighton last week — has finally broken their silence, revealing the women had spent years struggling with the trauma of losing their mother to drowning 16 years earlier.

3 sisters who died off Brighton ‘never recovered’ from mum’s drowning death 16yrs before – as family say dad ‘catatonic’ Three women found dead at Brighton beach…

Five Students Have Now Accused A Teacher Already Facing Criminal Charges Of The Same Disturbing Alleged Behavior — But The Chilling Detail Investigators Reportedly Heard Repeatedly From Multiple Victims Is What’s Now Triggering Nationwide Outrage

A Georgia science teacher already charged with having sex with a student in a classroom closet has now been accused of abusing five other teens, including a…

The Reported Cause Behind Kyle Busch’s Sudden Death Has Finally Emerged — But The Emotional New Details About What The NASCAR Star Was Secretly Battling Before His Passing Are Now Breaking Fans’ Hearts Across The Country

Kyle Busch’s cause of death has been revealed. Kyle Busch poses for a photo during NASCAR Production days at Charlotte Convention Center on January 21, 2026.Credit : Jonathan…

“‘I’LL BE OUT SOMEDAY.’ — THE TEXAS KILLER WHO EXECUTED A FATHER OVER A $500 BILL JUST SAID SOMETHING IN COURT THAT LEFT THE VICTIM’S FAMILY TERRIFIED” Raudel Orozco has been sentenced to 40 years in prison after admitting to the execution-style killing of mechanic Luis Manuel Casillas — a father of two who was chased, forced to his knees and shot after an argument over a $500 repair bill.

Texas killer Raudel Orozco who executed mechanic over $500 bill sentenced to 40 years in prison A Texas man was sentenced to 40 years in prison for executing…